Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook

In the spirit of creating gratitude and greater awareness of living in the moment, I thought I'd participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook. (LOL! Which I am assuming means simple as in, focusing on what is really important, and not simple, as in being an ignorant fool--though at different times, I suppose, both apply to me)



FOR TODAY, Dec 23, 2008...

Outside my window... It is dark still, but the first light gray of dawn is filtering into the sky on the horizon. It was cold enough again to freeze our collected rain water

I am thinking... how chaotic and crazy it will be all day with the grandparents here. I wish my kids didn't go into hyper"pay attention to me " mode, while they were visiting

I am thankful for...coffee and for my husband having a job

From the learning rooms...not so much right now, but Clue ($5 at amazon, w/ free shipping) arrived yesterday and we'll probably play today. So that's, what? Deductive reasoning?

From the kitchen... Ugh! Hoping to bake some cookies. Yesterday's baking was sort of a disaster, as we baked at my MILs and her oven is just, so, not right and I couldn't find all of the utensils, etc. I needed. However today, I think we'll bake here and just take the dishes over there to wash.

I am wearing... my jammies! Woot!

I am creating...a long, wide scarf out of great bamboo yarn. It's soooo soft, and varigated enough that it hides a lot of my beginner's mistakes.

I am going...kind of crazy not getting any down time all day while my folks are here.

I am reading... Mr. Ives' Christmas by Oscar Hijuelos. So far, it's way up there on the list of the best modern fiction I've ever read.

I am hoping...that the well people will come today and finish the job so that we will have running water today or at least by tomorrow.

I am hearing... "Levi Stubb' Tears" by Billy Bragg

Around the house...really not many projects left. Fold some laundry and finish wrapping stuff

One of my favorite things...is the ipod my husband gave me for an anniversary/Christmas/birthday next year present. It's like my own little world I can escape into while I am doing chores.

A few plans for the rest of the week: baking, Christmas!, maybe going with the granparents and kids to see Bedtime Stories, maybe a trip to a special Christmas display.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon.

    Thought I'd just pop in wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and all that...trying to make it mean more than just words.(Going cray...zee with one thing or the other here; I love Christmas, but "Christmas perfectionism" almost kills it at times).

    Won't be much on-line between now and 2009, I reckon. But you have a good one, luv.

    Best Wishes
    Stephen

    P.S Like the the Hopper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((hug))) Merry Christmas! I hope that you have a wonderful holiday. Any special plans?? I gave up on Christmas perfectionism long ago...now we're in the "trying to make it all not completely suck" holding pattern. I love Christmas, too--but with each kiddo it's become substantially more work, even though every year I keep trying to make things simpler. I am exhausted and all I want to do is go spend a couple days at a hotel and sleep, bathe as long as I want, have no one at all need me and have someone else cook and clean. Alas that won't happen-but every girl's gotta dream!!

    I *heart* Edward Hopper. He's one of my absolute favs. Last year got to see a bunch of his paintings at theart museum in DC--it was awesome, truly awesome. The digital reproductions don't so them justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MERRY CHRISTMAS my friend!!!! Things went very well here. We went to the noon mass and Joseph behaved perfectly. My mother didn't get snippy during the last moment preparations for the family dinner (one of the few occasions when my mother does usuallyg et snippy) No drunken scenes at the family dinner, no arguments, no unpleasantness. And everyone agreed how cute Joseph is. We will need an extra suitcase just for all the gifts he has been given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the only time there is peace is when you are divorced and the kids are married , have kids of their own and never come home or are all the planet etc and then it is nice for one year but the next year it would be nice to have the confusion again anthen by that time i will e too old and they wil have to do the work...oh well.. it has been a good christmas after all--hah

    have a good new year...

    ReplyDelete